Friday, February 17, 2012

Home as a garden


These are my favorite quotes from Alexandra Stoddard's book, "Choosing Happiness."  I suggest you first scroll down and click on the stunning arrangement of Joy, then scroll back up and read the quotes.  Have a beautiful, happy weekend!



"Is there anything as sensuous or as beautiful as being outside in a garden in full bloom?"




"Houses, like gardens, need our watchful eye, sunshine and nurturing.  The houses where we live don't thrive on benign neglect.  Living abundantly requires lots of loving energy."




"Your home as a garden is a private refuge."




"This is the tiny space you occupy and maintain on earth, your soil to cultivate.  It is sacred." 




 "Make your home a garden so breathtakingly beautiful that you inspire happiness in everyone you welcome in."




"Plant your seeds and cultivate your own garden.  Everyone who does so is wise, because happpiness is centered here."
  



"We might not have Monet's talent for painting masterpieces, but we can transform our personal environent into a sensuous, happy, colorful retreat, a place that is so pretty, so cheerful and pleasing, that our personal environment becomes our sanctuary."




"Our house becomes a home when we love it.  Our home can always be in bloom, full of springtime, fresh beginnings, plants growing and happiness flowering."




"Paradise is right here, right now, day by day."



"Our homes are our ideal earthly paradise.  Give your home your all, feed it with beauty, color and light; treat all your objects with respect and dignity, knowing you are only a temporary caregiver."




All quotes are from one of my favorite books, Choosing Happiness by Alexandra Stoddard.  Click the book to learn more about it.





I don't know who this is, but this gorgeous arrangement of Joy is played by ear with no score.

To all of you who follow our blog, or have taken the time to leave kind, funny, insightful and heartfelt comments, or have sent Jennings or me e-mail, thank you very, very much.  We appreciate you, and are happy and grateful to have had the pleasure of meeting you.


Images: 2. Via www.designamour.com 4. Alexandra Stoddard via Country Living, Photographed by Keith Scott Morton 6. Alexandra Stoddard via Country Living, Photographed by Keith Scott Morton 7. Veranda 8. Veranda 9. Roger Muhl 10. Martha Stewart 

8 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous, and yes I believe that a garden is important. I can't discount my hydrangeas either! A garden with roses and gladiolas is my favorite.
    Happy Friday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you and Alexandra Stoddard (gotta love her). Love your home, make it your refuge and a place that brings warmth and joy to all who visit. The music is a lovely gift, as well. Thank you and have a great weekend.
    All the best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful arrangements! The flowers AND piano.
    Just purchased Choosing Happiness on eBay for 3.99 incl. shipping - good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder about the inspirational work of Alexandra Stoddard. You may have once posted about her books previously, and I may have commented... My mother gave me some of her books when I was a teenager - "Living a Beautiful Life" was the first I think. They planted a seed. I'm off to Amazon! Have a wonderful weekend.

    xo
    serena

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the quote ...."Our homes are our ideal earthly paradise. Give your home your all, feed it with beauty, color and light; treat all your objects with respect and dignity, knowing you are only a temporary caregiver."
    I have Alexandra Stoddards book and I'm going to go pull it off the shelf and look at it again. Thank you for yet another wonderful blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for adding the archives to your blog, I enjoy reading thru your old posts so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well now, i cannot help but have a lovely weekend, you added so much color and happiness!
    thank you
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serena, funny you should say that about her books planting a seed. When I think back, "Living a Beautiful Life" was the book that changed everything about style, design and living gracefully for me. Have you ever been to a bookstore and had a book practically jump off the shelf into your arms? As I recall, that's what happened to me. I've probably given away 50 copies of that book to friends and family.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and thank you for stopping by! The best part of blogging is the dialogue between friends, so please share your thoughts, memories, stories and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.